Sunday, September 21, 2008

Second Weekend 8/22/08

Something just happened to reaffirm that I’m making headway in my new adventures here. It was small, actually insignificant, but it kind of stuck with me.
Victor, one my friends who lives in the house here, decided to go home for the weekend, just like many Dutch freshman do. (or freshman at any college, I suppose) Anyway, he brought downstairs to the living room a suitcase, completely stuffed. When I questioned him needing a bag that big for the weekend, he said that his loving mom would be doing all of his dirty laundry while he was home. Haha…Twenty minutes later, he came back to tell me he was leaving. A group of us were all just chilling, watching the Olympics on a Belgian tv station. His mom came in right behind him (I didn’t even know she was in Middelburg), pointed at me and asked Victor if I was “Landon.” His nod prompted her to immediately introduce herself, saying that Victor had told her all about me. She then invited me to come stay at their house anytime, that I would be very welcome in their house. At all this, Victor looked very embarrassed, especially in front of the group that were watching these events unfold. Of course I was very gracious, thanked her for the invitation, and assured her that I would come stay some weekend. They immediately left and I couldn’t help but smile at all the ways that mothers continually embarrass their children all across the world.

No comments: